Physiotherapy is now a widespread practice. However, many people still don’t have a clear understanding of it and all the benefits it offers. To cut it short, it is a comprehensive approach to restore an individual’s function and movement following an injury or an illness.
Here are three little-known physiotherapy facts you probably didn’t know about.
Physiotherapy Can Treat Various Health Conditions
A widespread misconception about physiotherapy is that it only is a treatment option for individuals who have experienced an injury after a sports-related or vehicular accident. Physiotherapy is also a great treatment recourse to manage and alleviate symptoms of multiple conditions.
Physiotherapy is also effective in treating asthma, vertigo, and severe pain. Pregnant women can benefit from physiotherapy sessions and prepare their bodies to facilitate a smoother delivery.
Healthcare professionals also recommend physiotherapy for:
Neurological illnesses like Parkinson’s disease, stroke, and multiple sclerosis
Cardiovascular illnesses like rehabilitative and heart disease therapies
Respiratory illnesses like cystic fibrosis, asthma, and obstructive pulmonary disease
Physiotherapy Can Even Eliminate the Need for a Surgery
Physical therapy can also save people from undergoing invasive surgeries. A study from the Annals of Internal Medicine suggests that physiotherapy can even keep individuals with lumbar spinal stenosis, a condition that causes lower back pain due to narrowing of the spine, from going under the knife.
Physiotherapy can Help Manage and Prevent Obesity
Being obese or overweight leads to reduced engagement in physical activities and movement restrictions. Certified physiotherapists can help overweight people to prevent their excessive body weight from limiting their mobility.
Expert physiotherapists combine various components to develop solution-based techniques and a patient-focused program to manage and prevent obesity. Typically these programs include:
- Treatment and assessment program that eliminates exercise barriers
- Tailored therapeutic exercises and exercise routine
- Addressing the physical and psychological complexities that are linked to obesity
- Study of motion, function, and structure of a patient’s body about their current weight
- Management of future or long-term conditions
To provide you with an overview, a tailored treatment program designed for an overweight patient may comprise of:
- Personal lifestyle guidance according to the patient’s circumstances, attitude, preferences, beliefs, openness, and readiness to change.
- Progressive and consistent supervision of tailored physical activities. The reason for such exercises is to boost endurance, muscle strength, and flexibility.
- Management and treatment for existing health problems like arthritis, back pain, and musculoskeletal conditions such as heart disease.
If you’re looking for a state-of-the-art physiotherapy clinic in Lancashire and Preston, then reach out to 5 Star Clinic Ltd. We offer effective physiotherapy services for various painful conditions, including post-surgery recovery, pain management, and injury recovery. We help people in fighting fibromyalgia, chronic pain, and much more. Our pain management system considers the role of joints, nerves, muscles, posture, gait, etc, as well as the nervous system.