If you find yourself in an unfortunate car accident, you need to be prepared to respond to the situation. Contact a pain therapy clinic in Lancashire immediately to ensure there are no underlying medical issues.
We’ve compiled a list of the most common mistakes people make when dealing with a roadside accident.
1. Don’t ignore minor injuries
Minor injuries can prove to be very costly if left untreated. You might be feeling okay right after the accident, but internal injuries can show up hours later. Treating any injuries you received during the accident is an important step to ensure your safety, even if it’s just a minor cut or bruise.
2. Don’t move if you’re hurt
If you have been injured, don’t try to get up and walk around. Research suggests your injuries can get worse by moving around before you’ve had a chance to heal.
Trying to be a hero right after the accident is a terrible idea, too. Stay put until a trained medical professional makes sure it’s safe for you to move without hurting yourself.
3. Don’t take a painkiller or opt for self-medication
If you have a headache or sore neck from an accident, it’s probably best not to take painkillers without consulting a doctor first. Painkillers can cause serious health complications like respiratory issues or unknown reactions. They may also cause dizziness and sleep, which can be harmful in the next few hours after the accident.
Similarly, anti-inflammatory medication such as ibuprofen and aspirin can interfere with healing because these drugs inhibit swelling and normal blood flow. Taking them without consulting your physician first may prevent any potential swelling from going down, therefore, slowing down recovery.
4. Do not apply cold packs
Applying cold packs to an injury does nothing to speed up the healing process because these packs do not affect blood flow or reduce swelling. Applying ice may cause the blood vessels in your skin to constrict, making the injured area look more swollen than it actually is.
5. Don’t be afraid to seek medical help and physiotherapy
Yes, you may have insurance, but that doesn’t mean you should refuse medical help and physiotherapy services near Preston.
- If you you’re injured, go to the hospital or a clinic right away. Even without visible injuries, your body might be hurt in ways that aren’t easy to see. Keeping quiet about injuries sustained and not getting treatment on time could lead to damaging long-term side effects.
- If you experience pain or discomfort for several days after the injury, consult a doctor for pain managementin Preston. Physiotherapy helps prevent soft tissue injuries like muscle strain and ligament damage from becoming chronic problems after an accident.
If you’ve met with a roadside accident recently, and are in a constant state of pain, contact us at 5 Star Clinic Ltd for massage services, physiotherapy, and pain treatment in Preston. Our pain management services are designed to focus on the individual needs of our patients looking for medico referrals after roadside or work-related injuries.
Book an appointment to avail our quality physiotherapy services today.