Therapeutic exercises are an integral component of physiotherapy that ensure your swift recovery. Your physiotherapist might include them in your treatment plan if you’re receiving physiotherapy for an injury or a chronic condition.
These exercises involve movements and physical activities designed to boost your flexibility, enhance your range of motion, and restore function. Additionally, they play a massive role in alleviating pain and improving muscle strength.
Here’s what you need to know about therapeutic exercises often included in physiotherapy treatments in Preston.
What Are Therapeutic Exercises?
Before we begin, it’s important to understand what therapeutic exercises are and how they differ from regular ones. Therapeutic exercises are distinguishable from different types of workouts. These are usually prescribed for individuals with a physical condition impairment or a problem that causes them pain.
Licensed physiotherapists identify, analyse, and determine the cause of the problem before recommending exercises for them.
Why Do You Need Therapeutic Exercises?
Therapeutic exercises are extremely beneficial in enabling patients to manage their symptoms. Research proves that these types of physical activities are designed to boost the strength of the musculoskeletal system.
These exercises involve physical activity and help in the following ways:
- Alleviate pain symptoms
- Boost flexibility
- Correct impairments
- Enhance neuromuscular control
- Help you perform regular daily tasks.
- Improve your range of motion
- Increase the strength of muscles
- Reduce inflammation
- Restore muscular and skeletal function.
A systematic review appraised 44 clinical practice guidelines regarding musculoskeletal conditions. The review revealed that all 44 of them recommended exercise for the treatment of the conditions.
Types of Therapeutic Exercises
There are various types of these exercises that help provide different benefits, ranging from increased strength to enhanced flexibility. These include:
- Aerobic condition and reconditioning
- Agility training
- Breathing exercises
- Endurance conditioning and reconditioning
- Endurance exercises
- Exercises for coordination and balance.
- Movement pattern training
- Neuromuscular education or re-education
- Perceptual training
- Power exercises
- Range of motion exercises
- Soft tissue stretching
- Strength exercises
- Training activities for neuro-motor development
- Training body mechanics
- Training for developmental activities.
However, these are divided into more common groups that include:
- Balance and coordination improve the person’s centre of gravity.
- Flexibility exercises using muscle stretching
- Endurance exercises to boost cardiovascular health.
- Strengthening exercises that are performed with heavy resistance
Are you looking for effective physiotherapy treatments in Preston? At 5 STAR CLINIC LTD, we offer sessions to alleviate and manage symptoms of various conditions.
We also offer other treatments for pain relief in Preston, such as acupuncture treatment, massage therapy, hypnotherapy, and more. Visit our pain management clinic in Preston today for a tailored treatment plan for you.
Contact us today to learn more about our services.