What are Ligaments?
Ligaments are fibrous connective tissue bands that connect the bones to each other. In the shoulder there are 4 main ligaments and their function is to stabilize the shoulder joint and limit movement of the bones within the joint
preventing shoulder dislocation.
What can cause a Shoulder Ligament injury/tear?
Shoulder ligament tears may occur due to:
- Direct trauma to the shoulder
- Repetitive overhead arm movements
- Degenerative joint disease of the shoulder
Types of Shoulder Ligament Tears
Shoulder ligament tears may be classified as:
- Grade 1: Microscopic or very small tear in the shoulder ligament
- Grade 2: Partial or incomplete tear of the shoulder ligament
- Grade 3: Complete tear of the shoulder ligament
Symptoms and signs of a Shoulder Ligament Tear:
- Shoulder pain and swelling
- Reduce ability till inability to move the shoulder joint
- Increased pain with arm movement or shrugging your shoulder
- Distortion in the normal contour of the shoulder depending which ligament has been involved
Diagnosis of Shoulder Ligament injury
To diagnose a shoulder ligament injury a full history of the symptoms will be taken and the shoulder joint will undergo a full physical examination and specific tests will be performed.
At times imaging testing might be need, such as X-ray to identify any bone abnormalities or an ultrasound or MRI to identify soft tissue abnormalities.
Shoulder ligament injury treatment
The treatment for your shoulder ligament tear will depend on the severity of the injury:
Grade 1 and 2 shoulder ligament injury treatment involves non-surgical options, including Medication, ice and electrotherapy might be used to reduce pain, swelling and inflammation(initially). At times in Grade 2 a sling might be used for 3-4 weeks to allow for proper healing of the shoulder ligament.
Physiotherapy is going to play an important role in the recovery and in the non-surgical approach.
In case of a completely severed shoulder ligament tear (Grade 3), surgical repair may be required to reattach the ligament. Most often, the surgery can be performed arthroscopically in an outpatient setting, which mean that you can return home on the same day as the procedure.
About 5 STAR CLINIC LTD
At 5 STAR CLINIC LTD we offer specialist shoulder sprain treatment in Preston, Lancashire. We offer physiotherapy sessions, acupuncture treatment, massage therapy, Electrotherapy, hypnotherapy and much more.
Continue reading on how we can help you….
At 5 STAR CLINIC LTD, we provide an in-depth assessment to understand what is really causing your pain, we not only assess your shoulder but all the nearby joints, your posture, your muscle, nerves, your sleep, lifestyle, your level of stress, and everything else that could have an impact on your pain.
This will allow us to draw up a tailored knee pain relief for you.
This is the first time that you suffer with a shoulder injury
As every time something new is in front of you, you feel a bit lost, and it’s normal because you don’t know what to do, how long is going to last, what is the best solution, and what should you look for. You might have talked with the Doctor and tried some medications already but not with great help.
You have been suffering from shoulder pain Chronically or on and off for a while
You have been trying:
- to find a pain management solution for a while,
- self-help strategies,
- the Doctor,
- scans, blood tests, medications, supplements
- different professionals such as Chiropractors, Physiotherapists, Osteopath, Chinese Acupuncture and maybe alternative methods..
but without a real answer to your problem.